Here is the process I used to remove the old and install the new headliner. All in all, not counting the time to recover the backer board, it took me less than 30 minutes to remove the old headliner and install the new one.
* Remove the two screws on plastic cover at rear center just above rear window.
* Remove the single screw on metal backing under that plastic cover
* Pull off two small rectangular plastic covers on each side right after transition from rear to side of car. Under those plastic covers are u-shaped metal brackets, each with a screw holding them in.
* Remove the four screws for each of the handles above the doors, the little covers open from the inner towards the outer part of the handle, use one of those tiny screwdrivers to pry them open, careful not to mark the plastic.
* Remove the two screws at the pivot mount for each sun shade (to get the sunshade out you have to rotate it at an angle)
* Remove the single screw at the clip end of each sun shade
* Pull off the sunroof motor cover
* Pull off rear view mirror
* Remove the four screws holding in mirror mounting bracket
* Remove the two nuts and two screws holding in roof console (where the front window and sunroof buttons are)
* Doing this carefully should end up with headliner resting on the seat headrests, be care to not let it bend too much.
* I then pulled the two rear round and the two rectangular lights out of their metal brackets in the headliner and disconnected their wires (after taking a pic so I'd remember which wires went on which spades)
* Bend back the metal clips holding the wires to the backer board
* Slowly lower the front seats towards the rear of the car (like you are going to sleep in them)
* Once they are all the way down you can carefully (with a little bending) get the headliner out of the front passenger door
For reinstallation I put a plastic garbage can on the center arm rest to hold the front up and then reattached stuff from the rear forward (so actually in the order I took it off).
After this it turns out I didn't have enough material left over to cover the sunroof part so I had to go back to the fabric store to get another yard. I got lucky, all they had left was one yard and it had a couple creases in it so they sold it to me as a remnant for half price
. This will be a little more challenging because I'll need to remove all of the foam backing as there is not enough clearance for it to slide properly if the foam is still on.
Je moet dwarsliggen in het leven, want dan ben je lekker moeilijk te begraven.